Secure Your Google Ads Account and Connect Remarketing Pixel
You want to get your Google Ads tracking configured, even if you aren’t running ads yet. That way, whenever you do decide to run some ads, you’ll already have a bunch of website data for remarketing.
All you need to do is find your Google Ads tag, and then configure that within GTM.
1. In another browser tab, open Ads.google.com; in the upper right you may need to click “Sign In.”
2. If you have never created an account, you’ll have to set one up. Follow the instructions to get an account created. Skip ahead to step 3 if you already have an account.
a. You do not have to launch a campaign to finish creating your account. Once the account has been created, you can select “Expert Mode” when it asks you to start a campaign:
b. Then, when it asks for your campaign goal, in the lower left select “Create an account without a campaign.”
c. Confirm your billing settings and proceed to your Google Ads account.
3. Once you are in the Google Ads account, in the upper right click on “Tools & Settings.” Then, under the Shared Library options, select “Audience Manager.”
4. In the menu on the left, select “Audience Sources.”
5. Find the Google Ads tag section in the list of sources, then click “Set Up Tag.”
6. Select only the general website data and click “Save and Continue.”
7. From the tag setup options, select “Google Tag Manager.”
8. Now you have the Google Ads tracking ID. Copy the Conversion ID provided and go back to Google Tag Manager.
9. Back in GTM, in the upper right click “New.”
10. Give the new tag a name and place it in the Marketing folder.
11. Click anywhere inside the Tag Configuration area. In the right menu that appears, select “Google Ads Remarketing.”
12. Paste in the Conversion ID provided by Google Ads.
13. Click anywhere in the “Triggering” section.
14. Select the “All Pages” trigger.
15. Your tag is now configured. In the upper right, click “Save.”
What did you just do? Similar to Analytics, you told GTM to fire the Google Ads Remarketing tracking on every page of your website.